Vivienne Westwood once said, “buy once, buy well, make it last.”
But how do we do this? Most of the time, this notion is easier said than done. Our relationship with our stuff is broken, and now more than ever we need brave solutions to navigate life as a consumer. How do we choose what items to bring into our lives that will enhance and enrich us as people, rather than leave us cluttered, overwhelmed or constantly comparing what we have to what others have?
Five years ago, our founder Tara Button was an anxious, cluttered, impulsive shopper with thousands of pounds of debt and a worrisome addiction to stationery. But her journey and discoveries over the last half-decade have changed her habits, transforming her life into that of a happy, confident entrepreneur and thought-leader who can see the surfaces of her kitchen.
At the core of her transformation was a shift from short-term impulse buying to making long-term choices. She calls her technique mindful curation.
Mindful curation is a lifestyle choice that will make you happier, healthier and more spiritually fulfilled as well as save you money and create a calm and revitalising home. There are ten steps to mastering mindful curation and each is explained in Tara’s new book A Life Less Throwaway: The Lost Art of Buying for Life.
From understanding and using techniques to free yourself from external manipulations, finding your purpose and priorities and identifying your core tastes and style to learning how to let go of the superfluous and how to make wise choices going forward, this book will help you buy once, buy well and make it last.
If you’ve ever felt your shopping habits were out of control, become frustrated by something that broke or spent money you didn’t necessarily have to spend, A Life Less Throwaway and the principles of mindful curation are the solutions.
This book offers a full-fledged course in mindful curation. You’ll learn:
- The latest research on human behaviour and happiness
- Practical and easy exercises you can apply to your life and shopping habits
- Some of the manipulative methods of making us spend and how to stop buying mindlessly and impulsively
- What your unique purpose is and what you want from your time on Earth
- How to connect your purpose to the things you surround yourself with and the areas where you spend your time, energy and money
- How to free yourself from fads by discovering your personal taste and identifying your own brand that transcends fashion trends
- How buying for the long-term gives you a richer relationship with yourself, your possessions and your community
- How to find quality in the 21st century and the lost art of maintaining the objects you bring into your life.
A Life Less Throwaway goes far beyond minimalism or tidying up. It reaches the core of our relationship with possessions and our need for things. Eye-opening, entertaining and above all practical, this is a book to revolutionise our attitude toward our possessions, our priorities and our planet.
Available for pre-order here: