Every year around February 14th, approximately 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged around the world, making it the second most popular greeting card holiday after Christmas.
But Valentine’s Day is more than just a Hallmark holiday. Some historians believe that the day celebrates the 6th century Roman Feast of Lupercal (or Lupercalia) – a festival that involved lashing naked women with goat hide to encourage fertility. The men would then randomly draw women’s names from a jar for ritual coupling, and these couples often fell in love and were married the following year. It wasn’t until the Middle Ages that February 14th became decisively associated with love. It was believed that this date marked the beginning of birds’ mating season, underlining the theme of romance; and the first recorded Valentine greeting, a love poem, was sent in 1415. By the mid-1800s, mass-produced valentines of lace and ribbon were being sold every year in America.
You’ve probably received your fair share of flowers, chocolates or greeting cards over the years, but unless you’re exceptionally sentimental, you’ve probably found yourself recycling or binning these cards a few days later. Let’s skip the cards this year and instead show our devotion in more long-lasting ways. Why not share an experience with your loved one, like taking a weekend holiday or going out to a nice dinner? And if you’re going to purchase something for them, make sure your gift sends a message – get them a gift as lasting as your love. Here are 40+ long-lasting gift ideas to spoil your Valentine.
The One Who Loves to Accessorise
1. Classic black snag-resistant tights from Swedish Stockings, £23.
2. A gorgeous clutch made from reclaimed Burberry leather offcuts and decommissioned fire hose, £150.
3. A pair of funky herringbone tights to upgrade any outfit, £19.
4. Soft, ethically produced British alpaca gloves to keep her hands warm, £69.
5. A handwoven scarf with a 20-year repair or replace guarantee, £39.
6. A lifetime guaranteed belt made from the strongest decommissioned fire hose, £39.
7. This slim, functional wallet crafted from durable recycled materials like ballistic nylon, £28.
8. A traditional bobble hat inspired by the Everest vista, £50.
9. Perfect for daily work use, this sleek pack is constructed from durable wax cotton, ballistic nylon and leather, £230.
10. Unique, upcycled cufflinks that make a stylish statement, £40.
The One Who Loves to Cook
11. A lifetime guaranteed cotton canvas apron that will stand up to any mess, £125.
12. A classic iron pan that can be passed on to your future grandkids, £169.90.
13. It changes size, it folds away, it’s the only cake pan you’ll ever need, £26.50.
14. During those slow, romantic mornings together, nothing beats a fresh espresso, £149.
15. This handspun copper kettle is truly a piece of art, £225.
The One Who Loves to Read
16. Mindfully curate a home together that reflects your personal tastes, £9.99.
17. Help them break free of the clutter and organise their entire life, £10.11.
18. They’ve seen the Netflix show, now they can read the book, £8.83.
19. Learn how one man spent an entire year without spending a penny, £7.99.
20. Are they a budding minimalist? Show them the joy of less, £9.90.
If She Loves to Sparkle
21. A lovely floral pendant necklace made from recycled sterling silver and gold vermeil, £59.99.
22. Show her how big your love is with this giant heart pendant, £44.99.
23. Two interlocked rings inspired by the Celtic knot to symbolise love and friendship, £79.99.
24. Delicate snowdrop hoop earrings celebrating courage and optimism, £64.99.
25. Make sure she doesn't lose her new earrings with these rose gold secure earring backs, £46.
If He Loves to Groom
26. A long-lasting shaving set for the purists, £125.
27. A perfect travel case made from fire hose that will carry all his grooming essentials, £48.
28. This calming after shave balm is extra nourishing on dry skin, £22.50.
29. An indulgent shaving set featuring the iconic Mark One safety razor, £298.
30. Keep those stragglers at bay with this stainless steel ear and nose hair trimmer, £15.99.
The One Who Loves to Relax
31. The comfiest handmade robe around with a 20-year guarantee, £95.
32. Slip these ultra soft and snuggly slippers on her feet and watch her fall into comfortable bliss, £69.
33. A one-pot wonder beauty balm for all skin types that smells like a summer rose garden, £40.
34. These glass mugs are perfect for a cosy hot cocoa or cup of herbal tea, £12.
35. Let her sink into a soothing rose and pomegranate scented bath with this organic oil, £15.
36. The most durable portable speaker with 30 hours of battery life, £95.
37. Unsmashable whiskey glasses for his evening tipple, £19.99.
38. The comfiest handmade robe around with a 20-year guarantee, £95.
39. These best-selling sheepskin slippers provide maximum cosiness and timeless design, £72.
40. This revitalising face scrub will keep him looking and smelling fresh, £18.
The One Who Loves to Explore
42. A beautifully crafted wooden bellyboard for all their beach adventures, £55.
43. Handmade in Italy from the finest leather, this durable travel wallet will keep all their documents safe, £85.
44. This weather-resistant overnight bag features a tough ballistic nylon base and military grade webbed handles, £250.
Note: Product prices are accurate and items in stock at time of publication.
Amanda Saxby hails from the frozen tundra of British Columbia, Canada, and now works as Digital Marketing Manager for BuyMeOnce in London. When she’s not analysing the latest Twitter trends or decoding the optimal time to post an Instagram, she can be found with a whisk in her hand baking up naturally sweetened desserts for her blog and colleagues. So far, no complaints.